The Old Infirmary in Bridge Street, built in 1850, occupies the site of a Hospital founded in 1784, and is now (in 1896) used as a Dispensary and Hospital.
The New Infirmary at Calside (which is in course of erection) is approached by Causeyside the Main thoroughfare south wards from Gilmour and Canal Street stations. The elegant building to the west of the Infirmary, fronting Calside, is the Nurses’ Home – the gift of Peter Coats, Esq., of Ferguslie Thread works. The accompanying sketches by the architect, Mr T. G. Abercrombie, will give an idea of the magnificent structures which adorn the southern part of the town, and benefit the whole community.
The Royal Victoria Eye Infirmary is situated at 1 Forbes Place, off Causeyside.
The Abbey Poorhouse, a large and handsome Elizabethan structure, and the Riccartsbar Lunatic Asylum, lie to the south-west of the New Infirmary. The visitor to Gleniffer, or the southern suburbs, can hardly fail to note these large and important edifices.
Taken from the 1896 Guide of Paisley by J & R Parlane