William Dunn Square

  This handsome Square, with its beautifully designed parterres and elegant retaining walls, was gifted to his native town in 1894: by Wm. Dunn, Esq.,M.P. for the constituency (now Sir Wm. Dunn, Bart.). The ground is laid off according to a competitive plan secured by Mr James Donald, architect, Paisley; the whole work costing about £9000. The space was formerly occupied… More William Dunn Square

John Neilson Institution

From its central and commanding situation on Oakshawhead, as well as from its great architectural beauty, this Institution must be reckoned among the three or four most notable of Paisley’s public buildings. The fund of about £20,000, from which it was erected, was bequeathed by the late John Neilson, Esq. of Nethercommon, in 1839. The… More John Neilson Institution

Walter Fitz Alan & Paisley Abbey’s Foundation

Renfrewshire’s place in Scottish History begins in the early medieval period when the newly crowned King of Scotland, David I, granted lands in the county to Walter Fitz Alan in the mid 12th Century and appointed him as the hereditary High Steward of Scotland.  Little was Walter to know that several generations later, one of… More Walter Fitz Alan & Paisley Abbey’s Foundation

Volunteer (TA) Drill Hall

This hall, which is 100 feet long by 50 feet wide, is certainly more useful than ornamental. It is in contemplation, however, to provide a hall more commensurate with the importance of the objects to which it is dedicated. The entrance to the hall is flanked by two cannons, which were captured at Sebastopol. The… More Volunteer (TA) Drill Hall

Fountain Gardens, Paisley

Situated in Love Street, about ten minutes’ walk from the Cross, and form one of the most effective hugs of the town. Fountain Gardens were created grounds originally called Hope Temple Gardens. Hope Temple Gardens were developed by John Love in 1797. He created The Hope Temple Museum along with a bowling green. Love became… More Fountain Gardens, Paisley

 Paisley and it’s Environs

Hugh MacDonald 1854 (This Edition 1910) The town of Paisley is of considerable extent and importance, being the fifth in respect to magnitude in Scotland. In population it formerly ranked next to Glasgow and Edinburgh, but latterly it has been outstripped in the march of progression by Aberdeen and Dundee; the number of its inhabitants… More  Paisley and it’s Environs

Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal

The 31st October 2010 marks the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal. The initial stretch opened was between Paisley and Johnstone; with the length between Paisley and Port Eglinton in Glasgow was completed and opened the opening the following year. Why was the canal needed and who was behind… More Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal

The Bargarran Witchcraft Case 1696

In the year 1696, the 11yr old daughter of John Shaw, the Laird of Bargarran, fell victim to one of the most well remembered cases of ‘demonic possession’ in Scottish History. It resulted in a large number of locals being implicated as her tormentors concluding with 7 people being put to death in Paisley on… More The Bargarran Witchcraft Case 1696

A Renfrewshire Ghost Story

From the Lanercost Chronicle… Set at Duchal Castle… AT this time, in the west of Scotland, in the valley of the Clyde, about four miles from Paisley, there happened in the house of a knight, Duncan de Lyle, an event at once dreadful and wonderful, which may fill the wicked with fear, and show the… More A Renfrewshire Ghost Story

Paisley Heritage Visitors Map

Our Heritage Visitors Map is now available online at https://theurbanhistorian.co.uk/paisley-visitors-map/  The map is still under development and new sites are being added every few weeks. Please tell us what you think of the map.  The content for each site is being updated when time permits.