Tag: feature

  • Names of the witches (in Scotland) 1658 – Welcome Library

    Names of the witches (in Scotland) 1658 – Welcome Library

    The Welcome Library has recently published a fascinating book from 1658 to c1662 with a list of witches named in Scotland.   The original manuscript list is written by several hands, but also contains a later transcript. The original document is endorsed: ‘Names of the witches. 1658’.  There is one short section on Renfrewshire. You can…

    Continue Reading →

  • History Scotland Podcast featuring the Urban Historian

    History Scotland Podcast featuring the Urban Historian

    A few weeks ago, Stephen in his role as the Vice-chair & Historian of Paisley Thread Mill Museum spoke with Neil from History Scotland Magazine for one of their Podcasts. You can listen to the full broadcast through the link below. The Paisley Thread Mill Museum portion starts at 16 minutes in. https://soundcloud.com/user-42264641/history-scotland-podcast-episode-28-grand-central-paisley-thread-mill-museum#t=16:00

    Continue Reading →

  • “Royal Victoria”

    “Royal Victoria”

    Paisley in March 1838 On the 1st of March 1838 Messers Barr and McNab of the Abercorn launched the first ever steamer built on the white Cart. This iron boat was 38.1 meters in length a breadth of 4.27 meters and had a depth of 2.84 meters. The hull weighed 45 tons. The Royal Victoria…

    Continue Reading →

  • County and Sheriff Court Buildings

    County and Sheriff Court Buildings

    By an arrangement entered into between the County and Burgh authorities, an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1887, under which the County authorities renounced their interest in the old County Buildings in County Square, and they erected the new County Buildings, which contain a County Hall, offices for the County Clerk, Treasurer and Collector,…

    Continue Reading →

  • Free Library and Museum

    Free Library and Museum

    Ionic in style, with a tetrastyla portico and wings, this fine building was gifted to the town by the late Sir Peter Coats of Woodside. Originally £15,000 was expended on the structure, which was handed by the donor to the town, on condition that the Free Library Act was adopted. It was opened for public…

    Continue Reading →

Translate »