See our Facebook Page for latest posts on Scottish records!
Join the Private Group to ask questions on related topics https://www.facebook.com/groups/PaisleyGenealogyScotland
With over 20 years experience in Genealogy we are able to provide a fast reliable service to our clients. We specialise in the area of the Old County of Renfrew – that is modern day Inverclyde, East Renfrewshire, Renfrewshire and parts of Glasgow. Although specialising in the local area, research can be undertaken in any area of Scotland, England and Wales. Limited work can be carried out for Irish ancestry.
Stephen started out looking at his own genealogy, and progressed on to teaching genealogy with the Life Long Learning Academy at the University of the West of Scotland, and has for several years been carrying out research for clients through ‘Renfrewshire History’ which has now been re-branded to ‘The Urban Historian’.
We offer several Packages to choose from, and if you need some specialised work we also have a standard hourly fee. Please check the packages below and contact us using the contact form below providing as much information as you can, and we will get back to you, confirming if the research is viable or not.
Research into one branch of your family tree.
Our Linen package takes the form of a study of one side of your family tree – this could be your mother or fathers side. If you would like to look at both of your parents surname, we suggest using our Silk Package which looks at two surnames.
Whatever side of your family that is chosen, we allocate 8 hours of research time, which generally allows to go back at least 3 to 4 generations if not a bit further. Our research depends on you being able to provide enough information on your parents for us to use as a starting point.
Our Linen Package includes:
- 8 Hours of Research online and in the National Records of Scotland
- Genealogical report on your chosen branch of the family. *
- Copies or transcripts of documents gathered including official certificates where appropriate. *
- Information from available census returns. *
- Pedigree Family Tree Chart .
- A Gedcom file of your Family Tree.
- The price incudes, travel, admission price to archives when required, the cost of obtaining copies of registrar or parish record entires, and printing costs.
* For Linen & Silk packages, reports are provided as PDF files on DVD. If you wish, a printed and bound copy of the report, this will incur an extra charge (currently £35). All data gathered can also be delivered on a USB pen drive if required at extra cost of £5.
We ask for a deposit of 50% to be paid prior to research to cover initial costs and reserve the right to withhold supply of the final documents until all fees have been paid. Payment can be made by Cheque, Cash or Bank Transfer.
Contact us here if you would like to make an initial enquiry regarding research on our Linen Package.
Research into TWO branch of your family tree.
Our Silk package is similar to the Linen Package and looks at both sides of your family tree. Starting with your parents surnames, we research both branches of your family tree
We allocate 16 hours of research time to look at both branches, which generally allows to go back at least 3 to 4 generations if not a bit further. Our research depends on you being able to provide enough information on your parents for us to use as a starting point.
Our Silk Package includes:
- • 16 hours of Research. • Genealogical report on your chosen branch of the family. * • Scans of documents gathered. * • Information from available census returns. * • Pedigree Family Tree Chart. • A Gedcom file of your Family Tree. The price incudes, travel, admission price to archives when required, the cost of obtaining copies of registrar or parish record entires, and printing costs.
Depanding on research time booked, we will ask for a deposit (50% of total) to be paid before any research is carried out.
We reserve the right to withhold supply of the final documents until all fees have been paid.
- 3 days of research in archives (21 Hours)
- A full report on our research provided as a printed and bound document (1 copy)
- Transcripts of all
- Official Registers
- Old Parish Records
- and any other related sources
- A digital copy of all our research
- A Gedcom file of your Family Tree
- A printed copy of your Pedigree (Family Tree) Chart The price incudes, travel, admission price to archives when required, the cost of obtaining copies of registrar or parish record entires, and printing costs.
Have you hit a brick wall with your research? Do you need someone to search loc records offices? We can help you knock down the brick wall, and search local archives in the west of Scotland on your behalf. We charge an hourly rate of £30 (or £210 per day) to look at problems in your family tree, and carryout specific searches on your behalf. We charge an extra £40 to cover costs when you book research at a ScotlandsPeople centre to cover the day fee, cost of credits and travel expenses. We can search most archives and depositories in the West of Scotland such as:
- Renfrewshire local & Family History Records in Paisley Heritage Centre
- The Mitchell Library, Glasgow
- Inverclyde Records
- East Renfrewshire Local & Family History Records
- ScotlandsPeople centres (Edinburgh, Glasgow Kilmarnock etc)
- and many more…