Tannahills Statue d UH2018 HWsept23 –Paisley People 23 Sept 1.30pm
Fast on the heels of our new heritage talks starting on the 1st of October – our History Cafe sessions restart on Tuesday 2nd of October at 10am in Blend Coffee Lounge on Causeyside Street. We will then meet on the first Tuesday of each month at 10 in Blend. See /history-cafe for full details.
Today if you mention Paisley ship building to residents or visitors they are very surprised. Paisley’s ship building heritage has a long history, from building canal boats at Saucel, to numerous ship yards on the White Cart. Fleming & Ferguson has its origins in 1885 when William Y Fleming bought over the Phoenix shipyard of… More The “Newshot”, Fleming & Ferguson, Paisley 1943
Join us on Sat 17th March for our second Heritage Walk of the year. Paisley’s West End is an area not traditionally recognised as of being of great historical importance, but boasting of its own Cross, poets, big houses and more the history of the area stretches back to the medieval era. See https://www.theurbanhistorian.co.uk/product/uh2018-hw2-paisleys-west-end/ for… More Saturday 17th March 12 noon – Paisley’s West End Heritage Walk
During September 2017, Renfrewshire Council commissioned GUARD Archaeology LTD to undertake further excavation work on the site of Paisley Abbey’s Medieval Drain. The following two videos were published by the Paisley 2021 YouTube channel and tell the story of the dig. Both videos here are hosted on YouTube.
Paisley in March 1838 On the 1st of March 1838 Messers Barr and McNab of the Abercorn launched the first ever steamer built on the white Cart. This iron boat was 38.1 meters in length a breadth of 4.27 meters and had a depth of 2.84 meters. The hull weighed 45 tons. The Royal Victoria… More “Royal Victoria”
By an arrangement entered into between the County and Burgh authorities, an Act of Parliament was obtained in 1887, under which the County authorities renounced their interest in the old County Buildings in County Square, and they erected the new County Buildings, which contain a County Hall, offices for the County Clerk, Treasurer and Collector,… More County and Sheriff Court Buildings
Ionic in style, with a tetrastyla portico and wings, this fine building was gifted to the town by the late Sir Peter Coats of Woodside. Originally £15,000 was expended on the structure, which was handed by the donor to the town, on condition that the Free Library Act was adopted. It was opened for public… More Free Library and Museum
The Old Infirmary in Bridge Street, built in 1850, occupies the site of a Hospital founded in 1784, and is now (in 1896) used as a Dispensary and Hospital. The New Infirmary at Calside (which is in course of erection) is approached by Causeyside the Main thoroughfare south wards from Gilmour and Canal Street stations.… More Infirmaries of Paisley
This (in 1896) will soon be another addition to the educational institutions of the town, and, like most of the other institutions, is indebted to the liberality of her citizens for its existence. By the will of the late Peter Brough, £300 yearly was allocated for establishing a Science Lectureship. The trustees, however, instead of… More Paisley Technical School